TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Report grilling on deck?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Report grilling on deck?

Postby gpmwalker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:12 pm

I was under the impression that it was illegal to grill on a deck of an apt building in NYC. My neighbors are using an open flame charcoal grill, within 10 feet of a flammable surface. There is a massive deck-umbrella, as well as decorative items within 10 feet of the grill, and there is no hose or source of water. Is this something that I should report to the LL or Fire Department, or am I being overly cautious?
gpmwalker

Re: Report grilling on deck?

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:08 pm

This appears to be the rules on grilling on a balcony or open deck. See http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/p ... becues.pdf
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby gpmwalker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:05 am

Thank you for the link and the information, and my apologies for the delay in replying. After an unexpected late night grilling session on the deck below me I woke up in a room filled with what I thought was car exhaust fumes (until I looked out the window and saw the flames shooting out of the grill. I called 911 but they couldn't help me unless I needed medical attention. They suggested I call my local police precinct who in turn told me to contact the EPA. I've never received a response and really don't have a clue who to turn to.
gpmwalker

Postby TenantNet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:19 am

If you see out-of-control flames, you should probably call the Fire Dept.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:05 am

gpmwalker wrote:Thank you for the link and the information, and my apologies for the delay in replying. After an unexpected late night grilling session on the deck below me I woke up in a room filled with what I thought was car exhaust fumes (until I looked out the window and saw the flames shooting out of the grill. I called 911 but they couldn't help me unless I needed medical attention. They suggested I call my local police precinct who in turn told me to contact the EPA. I've never received a response and really don't have a clue who to turn to.

Call your local fire house. They take this stuff seriously.
BubbaJoe123

Postby 10ants » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 pm

According to the rules, nearly every backyard/terrace BBQ in NYC is illegal, and for the legal ones, the only way to get a replacement cylinder to it would be to find an access path to the interior of the block and pass it over every fence.

In general, they only enforce the 10' rule if there's a large source of flammable material. An umbrella would burn up pretty quickly; a gas tank would be far worse. I seriously doubt that the authorities want to go house to house confiscating grills.

I'd simply try to negotiate with them to put a fan next to the bbq to blow the fumes away from your living area, on the threat of your getting a hose with a sprinkler.
10ants

Return to NYC General Discussion