TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Proof of sale

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Proof of sale

Postby keeth31 » Thu May 30, 2002 10:17 am

I terminated my lease early at the end of April. My landlord said he couldn't get a renter until June 1st so he is charging me for May rent. According to the super and doorman, my landlord sold the apartment in mid may. My LL is suing me for may rent. If it is true that the apartment was sold, how can I prove it. The super and doorman are no help because they work for the landlord and won't testify to anything in court.
keeth31

Re: Proof of sale

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Fri May 31, 2002 12:33 pm

Transfers of deeds/property ownerships/mortgages etc... are recorded in the local City Register's office. "The Office of the City Register, part of the Finance Department's Property Division, is the recording office for real and personal property records in four of New York City's five counties: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan) and Queens."
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/home.html

If no new info appears, the records will show your LL mortgage company, you can call them and ask if the property has been sold etc...
By the way, just because the apt. was sold may not mean that you are not liable for the rent. Go see your local Pro Se Atty. at Housing Crt.
Best of Luck!
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion