TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Fire Eviction questions (long)

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Fire Eviction questions (long)

Postby Adruu » Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:37 pm

There was a fire in the basement of our building two weeks ago. One apartment in our building was trashed, the others were fine except for the top floor (my apt) which had the windows knocked in, and significant smoke damage to the floors.

The gas was turned off the night of the fire, and we didn't have heat for three or four days. In that time, different tenants heard different things from the landlord.

"The building was fireproof" (The most absurd thing we heard)"The building is gutted"
"We'll have cleaning crews come by"
"You have to leave/ You don't have to leave"

Pretty much anything important we needed to know as tenants was never communicated to us all week...

Heat and hot water was restored by Keyspan on Wednesday. One of their men came by to all of the apartments and verified everything was working.

On Saturday afternoon, our landlord left a note downstairs (without saying anything to anyone) that Keyspan found a leak on their computers and needed to shut off the gas. (This is questionable. According to Keyspan, the leak was reported by the landlord. No one in the building smelled gas, and Keyspan checked everything out before they turned it back on.) The tenants went over to speak with him, and he told us that the building needed serious work and we were going to have to leave for six months.

I am pretty sure we will get money back for this month. Our Security Deposits will be returned also.

Question 1#
Is there any way to keep our apartments at the rent they are at? Our street is too hip for it's own good, and I have my suspicions that our landlord wants everyone out (esp the older people in 20 year old rent stablized apts) so he can jack up the rent.

Question 2#
If we decide to leave, do you think we can get money from our landlord for moving/storage costs?

Question 3#
Should I call a plumber to get an independent inspection of the supposed gas leak? Our landlord has shown us nothing in writing regarding the condition of the building, and we basically don't trust the f*cker...

If anyone knows any suggestions, please reply.

Also, if anyone knows a compassionate broker / landlord in the B. Hill, C Gardens area, we could use some help finding a temporary or new place...
Adruu

Re: Fire Eviction questions (long)

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:35 pm

Sounds like a good time for the tenants to hire lawyer.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion