TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No gas rent credit

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

No gas rent credit

Postby mfgomes1985 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Hello - I was hoping you could help me with a question about rent credit. My apartment was without cooking gas for 74 days. During this time I incurred additional meal expenses. My landlord asked me how much I expected as compensation in the form of rent credit. Any thoughts? I live by myself in a studio in Chelsea, $3,000 / month. Thank you.
mfgomes1985

Re: No gas rent credit

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Moved this post to the NYC forum. This is not a state issue if you live in Chelsea. You do not say if you are rent regulated or not.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:01 pm

First, make sure Con Ed did not charge you for gas during the time the gas was out. If you press them they will reverse the charges. In addition, you can file a "Residential Claim for Food and Medicine Spoilage" with Con Ed. See http://www.coned.com/customercentral/lawclaims.asp and http://www.coned.com/customercentral/br ... nglish.pdf

Second, you are entitled to an abatement from the LL for reduction in service. There's no absolute rule of thumb for this, but I've seen as high as 40%. However 10-20% is more likely.

You should be able to also seek claims for extra electrical usage if you are doing your cooking in a microwave oven, and additional costs of eating out or ordering in ... beyond what you would normally do.

Some/most LLs will balk at all this, but what you've gone through is an extreme inconvenience and violates not only the warranty of habitability, but also the contractual provisions of your lease. Be prepared to fight the LL in court over this. Please let us know the outcome as this is one issue we follow.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mfgomes1985 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 pm

Thank you for your quick reply and clarifications.

To answer your question: my rent is not regulated.

I will email my LL requesting an abatement of 20% in rent plus additional meal expenses of $15/day and an additional cleaning expense of $60 (wall had to be opened to conduct repairs). I will keep you posted on the LL reply.
mfgomes1985

Return to NYC General Discussion