TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

How to find out landlord after eviction?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

How to find out landlord after eviction?

Postby BeginerNYC » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:33 pm

I lived from April 2016 to June 2016 Brooklyn, NY .I rented one isolated room inside the two-bedroom apartment and paid for these living to my landlord. I gave to him the security deposit for one month.
07/28/2016 it was eviction of all peoples (include me), lived by these address. Before today my landlord did not returned me my security deposit .Landlord has problem with the management of the building and according to with the judgment of the court hi was evicted. I has the verbal month-to-month lease agreement with him.I have no idea about his new address. What I must do now ?
BeginerNYC

Re: How to find out landlord after eviction?

Postby TenantNet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Well you do need to find out how to reach him. Normally the NYS Attorney General handles security deposits, but I don't know if they can - or are willing - to do that in a room situation, or if there is no lease or record of the deposit.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby BeginerNYC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:55 am

TenantNet wrote:Well you do need to find out how to reach him. Normally the NYS Attorney General handles security deposits, but I don't know if they can - or are willing - to do that in a room situation, or if there is no lease or record of the deposit.

Thank you for advice. By these address: http://www.ag.ny.gov/complaint-forms I found the Rent Security Complaint . But the point is that I can’t complaint right now because I did not send the landlord official notice about my new address because I don’t know his new address . I send to him these notice by my phone SMS.
BeginerNYC

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am

Do you have any evidence of a security deposit at all? Emails, text messages, a money order stub, anything?

I can't see the AG's office being willing to spend a lot of time pursuing a claim if you have neither (a) a name and address for the person you're claiming has your money, or (b) any evidence that they do in fact have your money.
BubbaJoe123

Postby TenantNet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:36 pm

And of course some sort of lease or rental agreement. As I said, I don't know if they will look at room rentals.

TenantNet

Postby BeginerNYC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:25 pm

BubbaJoe123 wrote:Do you have any evidence of a security deposit at all? Emails, text messages, a money order stub, anything?

I can't see the AG's office being willing to spend a lot of time pursuing a claim if you have neither (a) a name and address for the person you're claiming has your money, or (b) any evidence that they do in fact have your money.

I have the verbal month- to month lease agreement with my landlord and I have three receipts about the monthly payments and about the security deposit.
BeginerNYC

Postby BeginerNYC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:33 pm

BubbaJoe123 wrote:Do you have any evidence of a security deposit at all? Emails, text messages, a money order stub, anything?

Yes , I sent to landlord official notice with my new address and he answered that he will return my deposit but there are only empty words. He promised more three times to return me the deposit , but never did it.
I sent to Consumer Frauds and Protection Bureau my request attached the copy of landlord’s receipts
BeginerNYC

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:31 pm

With any security deposit situation, you have basically two options: file a suit in small claims court, or complain to the Attorney General's office. And I don't see why you can't do both. In all instances the better paper trail you have, the better.

TenantNet

Postby BeginerNYC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 pm

TenantNet wrote:Well you do need to find out how to reach him. Normally the NYS Attorney General handles security deposits, but I don't know if they can - or are willing - to do that in a room situation, or if there is no lease or record of the deposit.

I sent the letter to Office of the Attorney General and I fill out the Rent security complaint form and I received the answer from Office of the Attorney General that i MUST PROVIDE THE CURRENT address of my former landlord ,but I have no idea about it and as result my case is without result. I can't provide the current address my landlord because after eviction my landlord did not inform me about it I can't define the current address my landlord because after eviction my landlord did not update the driver license .
BeginerNYC

Postby BeginerNYC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:28 pm

TenantNet wrote:With any security deposit situation, you have basically two options: file a suit in small claims court, or complain to the Attorney General's office. And I don't see why you can't do both. In all instances the better paper trail you have, the better.

I filed a suit in small claims court August 22 , the court hearing 12 January 2017 but I have no idea about the current address of my former landlord and I am afraid that I will have problem with the SERVICE OF SUBPOENA
BeginerNYC

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Look, with either option, you are going to need the whereabouts of the LL. The LL must be sent the papers that you have filed a complaint or started a suit. More important if you win, you can't enforce anything unless you know where he is (or his bank accounts). So really the onus is on you.

Does LL own the bldgs? It should be registered with HPD https://hpdonline.hpdnyc.org/HPDonline/ ... dress.aspx

Also check with NYC Dept. of Finance as to property records.

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion