TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Questions about vacating apartment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Questions about vacating apartment

Postby Thisismoi » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:58 am

Hello, and thank you in advance for reading my question... let's make that questions. AND I APOLOGIZE in advance for the length of my posting. I'm just REALLY concerned about this whole thing.

My sister lives in an apartment in the country club section of the Bronx. For a number of reasons, including the fact that despite the lovely LOCATION, the apartment itself SUCKS... extremely poor heating in the winter; negligable services from the superintendent; and yes the fact that the rent is too steep for her to handle as a single parent ... she has decided to leave the apartment in September at the end of her lease. Because seriously bad credit reports (for both of us, I helped her), the landlord asked for THREE months security. She agreed. Now, because she was moving from one apartment in the building to another (it's a long story), there was some confusion and she wound up giving him four months instead. So he is now holding FOUR (4) months security. She has advised him that she will live out her security and vacate at the end of the lease. He has refused and has threatened to take her to court if she tries to do so. OK then. NOW, she's decided she doesn't want to risk it.

Because the landlord is a pathetic, evil excuse for a human being (yes I'm venting), we're concerned he's going to do everything he can to minimize how much of the 5,400.00 security deposit he has to return. I've been reading a book about tenant's rights, specifically advice on making what to do get your security deposit back. One thing caught my eye. It says to make sure we are present when the landlord (in this case probably the "super") goes through the apartment to check for damages BEFORE turning in the key. I intend to put together a little form with a check list for each room and then have him sign that everything was in good order before we left.

Bottom line questions now: a) Can the landlord refuse to allow us to be present during the inspection b) Can the super refuse to sign the note.

Honestly the landlord (and I'd be happy to provide the name, realty company and building location who anyone who asks just so people can steer clear) really is a sorry human being we're just afraid he's going to keep her money. (He really needs it after all.... here he is sitting in an office building valued at nearly 50 million bucks but he has to quible over a few grand that he has to return at the end of the lease anyway).

I DID say this was going to be LONG right?

Thanks for listening and for any advice you can provide.
Thisismoi

Return to NYC General Discussion