TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Apt security breaches/NYC upper east side

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Apt security breaches/NYC upper east side

Postby kay333 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:03 pm

New owners took over my building four months ago.
Since then the security has diminished repairs non existant. Landlords have been hostile.
My apartements was broken into as a consequence and I have been living with a door with no window pane, I have stopped paying in order to get them to fix this problem- I pay a lot of rent for security.
I want to sue for damages is this done in housing court? and what is fair and feasible to expect.
Thanks
Kay
kay333

Re: Apt security breaches/NYC upper east side

Postby MikeW » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:30 pm

Most security issues in rental buildings are the tenant's responsibility, not the LL's. The LL is required to have reasonable security on the public areas (Ie, have the front door locked), and have a reasonably secure, fireproof front door on the apartments. However, all locks into the apartment, and securing windows in the apartment is the tenant's responsibility. Generally the LL supplies a bottom lock with the door handle, you would supply a top lock, if you want one (highly recommended). If you have a fire escape, or windows that are otherwise accessable from the outside, you would have to pay to put on window gates (highly recommended).

I really doubt that the LL would be held legally responsible for a window break in. I also don't know that they would be considered responsible for the repairs resulting from such a break in.
MikeW

Return to NYC General Discussion