TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Refuses to accept my money

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Refuses to accept my money

Postby SD_Raist » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:17 pm

I have lived in my apartment for over 6 months, and have a 1 year lease. I have paid my rent on time everymonth untill the last month, and this was due to me beeing out of work with a Broken hand... I was not able to recieve workman disability and therfore I had my local social services help mee with the rent. Now after I have gotten back to work and am back to making money, the landlord has decided that because My boyfriend will not move out that she is not going to accept my rent payment and is moving forward with a eviction notice (which was posted on my door today)... I have tried to look things up on the internet about this, but have not had much luck. On the eviction notice she is stating that she is evictiong me because I owe her money, what to do.... Can she evict me becuase she does not like my live-in boyfriend, and not accept my rent payment? What should I do, plz help!!
SD_Raist

Re: Landlord Refuses to accept my money

Postby mjr203 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:43 pm

where do you live?

in nyc you are entitled to a roommate and if you have a lease there is no way she can evict you till the lease expires.

If in NYC is it a rent-stabilized place or non-regulated?
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby SD_Raist » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:55 pm

I live in Up-state New york, Glens Falls to be exact.. I have a hick for a Landloord. I my-self am not from around here but have been here for 3 years... When I go to court I what should I have to prove any of this, I mean she will just prolly say that I never was gonna pay her, and it will be my word against her's.. I have three days till court.. sooo..
SD_Raist

Postby mjr203 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:25 pm

well since you don't live in NYC I can't be completely certain of your situtation

but seems to me that you have a legal lease and that she seems intent on breaking it.

You should be sending your checks to her via Certified return receipt requested mail so there is proof that you are sending them. If this gets to court, you should provide evidence of your loss of income due to your injury and show that you got back to current with your rent, hence there is no cause for eviction.

It's ridiculous LL behavior if you are trying to be current and you have a lease. She can't kick you out.

-pointer
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Lilly » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:11 am

"the first thing the judge will ask you if you have paid the rent, which you will say 'no',"

You will say yes, you have tendered the rent but that the landlord refuses to accept it. Did LL send the check back or what? You should also bring a certified check to court, just in case.
Lilly

Return to NYC General Discussion