TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

being harrassed!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

being harrassed!

Postby embielle » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:11 pm

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed (other than the woman from Brooklyn whose neighbors were throwing things out the window!), but I am being harrassed, not by my landlord, but by a fellow tenant.
My husband and I and two of our friends rent a whole house. There is a separate apartment in the basement which was until this spring occupied by a very nice man who had been there for years. The homeowner, who has moved out of New York, kicked him out because she was planning to renovate, but then changed her mind and had the property management company find a new tenant for the basement.
Since this new woman has moved in, she has taken a dislike to me. Although she never says anything to my face, she leaves me harrassing notes constantly, complaining that we are noisy in the morning, accusing us of letting our dog out in the yard (which, in the lease, we have every right to do, but told her when she first moved in that we wouldn't if it made her uncomfortable), calling me dishonest and dirty, and--as of last night--telling me to not put my garbage in the building's garbage can (which is outside her door) because it smells bad. She actually suggested that I take my garbage down the street and dump it in a public litter basket--which, even if I were stupid enough to want to do that, is completely illegal.
She has also complained to the property management company about me, and I had to have a long discussion with the property manager and show her photos of the damage this woman has done to the backyard since she moved in, to prove my "innocence".
I have really had it, and I wonder if I have any recourse to break my lease early, or if I should just suck it up and let this woman harrass me for the next 3 months. My lease is up at the end of October. I certainly don't want to screw over my roommates, the home owner, or the management company, all of whom are great, but because of this situation I can't even be comfortable in my own home, which is an awful feeling.
I am planning to bring this up with the management company again, but are there any suggestions? Talking to this woman is not an option; she refuses to speak to us.
Thanks for any advice anyone can give...
embielle

Re: being harrassed!

Postby mjr203 » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:30 pm

don't let her drive you out of your home! she is not your fricking landlord. if she gives you shit, give it right back, assert your rights to the backyard, notify the mgmt company and owner of anything she does, and basically don't permit her to harass you!
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC General Discussion