TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HPD owns lot?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

HPD owns lot?

Postby Cazmia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 am

Good morning,
There was a fire about a decade ago which caused a row of homes to be demolished. Since then, a vacant lot, overgrown with shrubbery, is basically all that has existed since one of the ones was demolished.

Interested in buying the lot, I searched ACRIS for the owner and it appears the last mortgage company who had the deed about 20 years ago doesn't even exist any longer.

At the Dept of Finance website, the property taxes/ bills are zero and the owner is listed as Housing Preservation and Development. No sign of the city owning it at ACRIS.

Can I apply for a deed as the first steps towards adverse possession? I can certainly do more with this lot for the community than housing overgrown shrubs.
Cazmia

Re: HPD owns lot?

Postby TenantNet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:05 am

Unless you're a corrupt not-for-profit with strong connections to equally corrupt city council members or the even more corrupt local Borough President, chances are you won't get anywhere. There are cases where people find ways to create community gardens, but down the road HPD decides it wants to sell the parcel to developers and then there's a fight, with often the community losing. Everyone has an agenda. You might make some inquiries with your local community board, but don't be surprised it they serve up some BS.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion