TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent for the lost days

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent for the lost days

Postby drmg456 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi
I am a tenant in NY state. Our house had plumbing issues last month. So we were out of the house for 2 days until the plumbing was repaired. The Landlord put us in a hotel for those days. I adjusted the rent for those 2 days for the rent payment next month. The landlord is saying that he is entitled the full amount of rent because we were accomodated in hotel. But i think i am entitled for those days rent since i was out of the home right?

Also i had to incur the expenses of meals when i was in hotel.

Please advise
drmg456

Re: Rent for the lost days

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:55 pm

What level of plumbing repairs would require you to vacate the premises?

I can't speak to the legal issues here. That would likely depend on what the lease says.

But in common sense view, as the LL made an accommodation by putting you in a hotel (and it appears he was being responsive as to the repairs), I don't see the legal basis for withholding the rent. A lot would depend on the particulars of the matter.

As for meals, I can see a rationale for claiming the value of meals over and above what you might normally spend for food, and assuming you didn't go crazy with lobster and filet mignon.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby drmg456 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:05 pm

there is nothing in the lease that s/he will cover for meals or hotel. He says that it is renters insurance that covers the rent but apparently he was too nice to accomodate us in a hotel. what can we do . I incurred some expense for meals from hotel.
drmg456

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Renters insurance would cover things - for example - lost in a fire, or stolen and so on. Each policy would be different. I doubt it would cover hotel/meals, but read your policy and see what they cover.

I'm not sure if you have a legal claim against the LL for meals. I know people that have asserted that when they have no cooking gas for months and months.

But seriously, you're talking two days. As bad as LLs can be, this LL put you up in a hotel. So if you normally spend $10 for food per day at home, and for two days you had to spend $15, then why do you want to make a fuss. I would kill for a LL willing to put me up in a hotel in such circumstances.

If it went on weeks and weeks, well then maybe. But you're talking two days. I would let it drop.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion