TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord stole from me

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord stole from me

Postby Sadie » Tue May 20, 2003 4:30 pm

My landlord refuses to give me notice before entering my apartment. I know he sometimes enters my apartment during the day when I'm at work. I've asked him not to do this and to give me notice so I can be there, but he refuses. I recently noticed that a valuable piece of sports memorabilia was missing from my room. He is the only other person that has been in my apartment in the last few months without my being there. What are my rights and do you have any advice?
Sadie

Re: landlord stole from me

Postby too trusting » Tue May 20, 2003 4:33 pm

Call the police and file a report. Paper trail, paper trail, paper trail. Plus if you ever take the matter to court you'll be asked why you didn't call the police.

<small>[ May 20, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: too trusting ]</small>
too trusting

Postby mjr203 » Tue May 20, 2003 5:11 pm

install a surveillance camera in your apartment

catch him on video

call police

police arrest LL

LL starts giving notice

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby mjr203 » Tue May 20, 2003 5:12 pm

I should add -- You should send a letter certified, ret. receipt stating chapter and verse of the notice laws to your LL as well if you have not. Like poster said "paper trail".
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby too trusting » Wed May 21, 2003 11:45 am

I'm going to emphasize call the police. My exLL tried to say my hubby went into her apt. and peed in her plant. Of course she never called the police about it she just accused him of it at trial. (She tried to sue us for $10,000 when we moved-real nutcase.) It was her word against ours, she had no proof so we won. Besides the fact that my husband did no such thing, she never acted on it so it wasn't taken seriously. If you're are interested, you can read the whole messy story under Help - LL wants us to leave! We just moved in!

<small>[ May 21, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: too trusting ]</small>
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion