TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Receiving HASA benefits from a roommate NYC-taxable and

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Receiving HASA benefits from a roommate NYC-taxable and

Postby photochic1124 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi, this question is for those (landlords, owners, etc) who receive HASA payments in NYC, not necessarily those who are the tenant (unless you know the answers to my questions!)

I have a roommate who is a subletter (I'm the main/solo leaseholder of this market rate apt) that is currently applying for HASA benefits. He is telling me that they will pay me his rent (not the landlord since the sublet agreement is with me, not her), but has not been able to answer these questions for me:

1) Does the HASA office collect my tax information/a W9/report this income to the IRS, therefore requiring me to pay income tax on this money?

2) I'm told the rent is paid biweekly. Is the first portion paid in advance of the month or half on the 1st and the other half on the 15th? Example, is December rent paid on Nov 15th and Dec 1st - OR - Dec 1st and Dec 15th. Rent is due in full on the 1st and if they paid half upfront and half later, that would make the rent late every month.

3) How long did it take to receive the first payment after the renter was approved? Wondering if it will come in time to pay for Dec rent since this roommate tells me he can't pay rent otherwise.

4) In order to complete his application, he needs a copy of the main lease. If I do not provide this, am I violating any law?

I've called the HASA office and asked these questions but they said "they're not sure, depends on his case.."

The landlord allows me to sublet the other rooms in my apt and is very hands off/doesn't want to deal with anything so adding him to the lease is not an option.

Thank you!
photochic1124

Re: Receiving HASA benefits from a roommate NYC-taxable and

Postby TenantNet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 am

First, you should have put your two questions together as the information here may influence the answer to the other question.

Second, this is not a place for landlords or owners, so you might be asking the wrong people.

Third, a roommate and a subletter at not the same thing. A sublet is when the prime tenant is temporarily away from the apartment and plans to return. A roommate is what it sounds like. They have their own bedroom and share the rest of the apartment.

I was going to suggest you call HASA, but seems you already did. I doubt anyone outside the office can answer those questions. You should probably be more persistent with them. You could also check the HASA FAQ page at http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/hasa-faqs.page
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Receiving HASA benefits from a roommate NYC-taxable and

Postby photochic1124 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am

Thank you. Yes, he is technically just a roommate, not a subletter since I am not living away from the apt.

I'm asking everywhere since I've googled to death and exhausted all my other options to try and find answers. Maybe somebody here knows. The HASA website and phone calls have not been helpful.
photochic1124

Return to NYC General Discussion