TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Loud Pipes

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Loud Pipes

Postby rossie » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:17 am

The heating pipes in my apartment are EXTREMELY loud. The banging goes on throughout the night, making a decent night's sleep impossible. It's far beyond "normal" levels of noise. Are there any laws concerning this? If so, what can I do?
rossie

Re: Loud Pipes

Postby nguttman » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:59 pm

Have you spoken to your super? or the building management? This type of problem usually falls under Department of Environment Protection - DOB.

1. write a letter and mail it to your landlord certified with return receipt.
2. if you are living a coop, wait a week, then send a CC to the buildling management certified with return receipt).
3. if that fails, call DEP at (718) DEP - HELP (337 - 4357) and arrange an inspection date - there are supposedly only 7 inspectors in the whole city, but it takes normally less than 3-4 days to get an inspector to look at your problem. If the noise is frequent and exceeds the city limit (it's 45 Db) by 10 Db more, the city will issue a violation.

It's extremely important that you document everything: write down your complain ref; once your inspector arrives, get his badget # and try to even record everything inspector says.

P.S. I'm not a laywer.
nguttman

Postby tooltalk » Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:24 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nozell Guzzman:
[QB]Have you spoken to your super? or the building management? This type of problem usually falls under Department of Environment Protection - DOB.

That's "ECB - Environmental Control Board", not EPA.
tooltalk

Postby Lilly » Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:25 am

your radiator isn't draining properly-how about calling the super.
Lilly

Return to NYC General Discussion