TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Kitchen Lights Making Clicking Noise - Please Advise

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Kitchen Lights Making Clicking Noise - Please Advise

Postby apple_pennywise » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if you could help me with this issue my tenant is experiencing. See attached image - Once the fluorescent lights are turned on for like 10-15 mins., there will be some clicking noise coming from the lights. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of issue? If so, can you please let me know the cause of it? I'm not a handy person and I'm just not good at this kind of stuff. I'm looking to hire an electrician to take a look and get it fixed. Do you have any suggestion on whom I could hire? (You could pm me) Location is in mid-town.
Last edited by apple_pennywise on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apple_pennywise

Re: Kitchen Lights Making Clicking Noise - Please Advise

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Are you the landlord, and is this photo from the interior or kitchen of a rental apartment?

Have you tried googling "fluorescent light clicking"
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby apple_pennywise » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, I'm the landlord. The picture is the kitchen of the rental apartment, and those are the two fluorescent lights. I did google it. It could be the ballast, but I'm not sure. Based on my research, a fluorescent fixture doesn't have that many components. I'm trying to see if the building management could replace the ballast for me if I pay for the parts.
apple_pennywise

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:01 pm

First, this is a site for tenants, not landlords, which is why we asked. Normally we would send you to landlord.com.

You say you're the landlord, but then you say you want building management to pay for it - or do it for you. That makes little sense. If you're a coop/condo owner then it's your responsibility. Understand that when you decided to become a landlord, you assumed the obligations to make repairs. Either you do it yourself or you pay to have someone do it. And repairs like this are included in the rent. It's not legal to pass along these costs to the tenant. That is what rent is for.

Yes, it could be the ballast, and that's pretty easy to fix on your own. You won't know if this is the right approach until you've tried it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby apple_pennywise » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Okay, I'm not aware that I need to go to landlord.com. I will do that and thanks for your inputs.

Also, I mean I will pay for the parts and request the building management to replace them for me. If they're okay, then fine, if not, I will find an electrician. I'm aware all repairs are my responsibility and I didn't say I was going to pass the cost to the tenant.
apple_pennywise

Return to NYC General Discussion