TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can I serve notice of termination to roommate?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can I serve notice of termination to roommate?

Postby beauchat » Tue May 06, 2003 3:06 pm

I'm planning to end my roommate's tenancy at the end of August (she's month-to-month). I know she can be served personally, but can I do it, (like, hand her the termination notice directly) or do I have to get someone else to do it?

Also, can I serve her NOW, even though I've verbally given her until Sept. 30th? I'd rather get all the necessary paperwork out of the way as soon as possible.
beauchat

Re: Can I serve notice of termination to roommate?

Postby consigliere » Wed May 07, 2003 8:35 am

Real Property Law §232-a provides (emphasis added):

Notice to terminate monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month in the city of New York

No monthly tenant, or tenant from month to month, shall hereafter be removed from any lands or buildings in the city of New York on the grounds of holding over his term unless at least thirty days before the expiration of the term the landlord or his agent serve upon the tenant, in the same manner in which a notice of petition in summary proceedings is now allowed to be served by law, a notice in writing to the effect that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that unless the tenant removes from such premises on the day on which his term expires the landlord will commence summary proceedings under the statute to remove such tenant therefrom.

consigliere

Re: Can I serve notice of termination to roommate?

Postby beauchat » Wed May 07, 2003 1:13 pm

In New York City, you must serve the tenant (roommate) a "Thirty Days Notice Terminating Monthly Tenancy or Tenancy from Month to Month." It's a Blumberg legal form. My question: can I, myself, serve my roommate this form, or must I use an outside person, like a process server. I've heard that I must use a process server, but is this true?
beauchat

Return to NYC General Discussion