TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Is this legal? If so, what can I do?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Is this legal? If so, what can I do?

Postby rossie » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:17 am

About a year ago, my landlord shut off the cooking gas to the entire building for two months. (There was a problem with the pipes.) Naturally, I asked for a rent abatement, and when he didn't give one, I stopped paying rent and was sued for nonpayment. The case was settled in my favor, the matter was ended, and my landlord has even offered to give me a positive reference if I want. The problem is that the nonpayment shows up on my credit report, and brokers refuse to consider my applications, even though I haven't had any problems since then, the courts found my case to be valid, and my landlord has offered a positive reference. Is this legal? Is this a common practice among brokers? Is there anything I can do? How long will this stay on my credit report, anyway? Thanks.
rossie

Re: Is this legal? If so, what can I do?

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:03 am

Same thing just happened to me, check out my previous post on the subject.
http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/ubbgraphics/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000017
In addition to getting the court print screen (it shows how it was settled), maybe you can show all your rent receipts and also a copy of the stipulation agreement when applying for an apt. With those documents on hand I was able to get my apt.
By the way, shortly after the check was run I received a letter from the reporting bureau explaining that it provided public info. to a company, and that I could submit an explaination that will also show up on my report.
Best of Luck!
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion