TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Break a lease for medical reasons?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Break a lease for medical reasons?

Postby <br> » Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:11 pm

Is there any provision of law in New York City that allows for breaking a lease for health reasons, or after a fire that wasn't bad enough to prevent occupancy?

We've just had a fire in the building and our apartment was smoke damaged...the landlord said he would have the place painted but I know he'll pick a random guy off the street who doesn't know how to clean up properly after a fire (it's not enough to just slap some paint on the walls).

I have a asthma and another condition which may be exacerbated by the air quality in the apartment/building.

Any help is appreciated.
<br>

Re: Break a lease for medical reasons?

Postby <help> » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:45 am

I had a similar issue with cat allergies from the previous tenant, and I was unsuccessful at getting out of my lease early. I had to broker a deal with the landlord and he got to keep my security deposit. HOWEVER, you might try requesting a city inspection for habitability. Get the other tenants to complain, as well. You might consider withholding rent. Check and see if the there might be and ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) provisions which might apply to your case.
<help>

Return to NYC General Discussion