TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Timely repairs advice

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Timely repairs advice

Postby silver » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:59 pm

I've been trying to get my landlord to fix my intercom/doorbell for 4 months! She always has an excuse and I'm fed up. Is it legal to deduct/withhold rent money for this? Any suggestions are appreciated.
silver

Re: Timely repairs advice

Postby Ikahnel » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:45 pm

No sir, You cannot withold rent for a broken door bell.
Ikahnel

Postby lappert » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:30 pm

Well, Moorish is wrong. You can withhold rent for a broken doorbell, as you can for anything that violates the warranty of habitability, your lease, or violates and code. In this case, the broken bell violates the warranty of habitability and most likely the Housing Maintenance Code, and is a security hazard. Like any withholding the process involves being taken to court on a non-payment where your defense would be the existence of the violation. First thing would be to request an inspection. But document the situation first (if possible). The tenant should complain in writing along with other tenants. When/if the LL continues to fail to repair, then take it up the next level.
lappert

Postby classicguy » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:45 pm

Here is a little somethung that may help.

Entrance Door Locks and Intercoms in NYS

Multiple dwellings which were built or converted to such use after January 1, 1968 must have automatic self-closing and self-locking doors at all entrances. These doors must be kept locked at all times -- except when an attendant is on duty.
If this type of building contains eight or more apartments it must also have a two-way voice intercom system from each apartment to the front door and tenants must be able to "buzz" open the entrance door for visitors.

Multiple dwellings built or converted to such use prior to January 1, 1968 also must have self-locking doors and a two-way intercom system if requested by a majority of the tenants. Landlords may recover from tenants the cost of providing this equipment (Multiple Dwelling Law §50-a)
classicguy

Postby classicguy » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:49 pm

Here is a link for more info:

http://www.tenant.net/Rights/tenguide.html#anchor103739

Hope is helps.
classicguy

Return to NYC General Discussion