TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

x-mas ruined! course of action??

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

x-mas ruined! course of action??

Postby truth_N_justice » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:21 pm

I've had to spend my entire x-mas looking for a new apartment and moving out rather than being able to enjoy the holidays.

My girlfriend and I parted amicably in November. She was the one who would mainly deal with the landlord. The landlord would refuse to give me receipts for cash and give them to her, and after several frustrating attempts to obtain receipts,
I settled for her dealing with the landlord exclusively. She (the landlord) simply refused to give me any reciept for cash I exchanged.

Upon my girlfriend moving out she tried to negotiate an agreement w/ the landlord where I could stay in the apartment for the month of January using the security deposit to cover the rent, and to no surprise, "no dice". The landlord expressed that she did NOT want me living in the apartment w/o her, and had already scheduled someone else to move in. I was not given any legal documentation or notice that I was to leave.

So here we are, at the end of my stay here in this apartment. I move out tommorrow (12/28), but w/ deposit in hand.

We've lived in this apartment for three years under less than favorable circumstances.
The first year, they were renovating the apartment right below us, which was where the landlord and her husband resided. There was no ceiling in the apartment, only framing and 3/4 inch plywood...that being "our" floor.
The second year we had to live with only 4 working outlets with extension cords used for most of our applicances. There are also many other problems we've had that we've let go out off good faith with the understanding that they'd be taken care of in a short amount of time.

I've tried to do my legal homework regarding this issue in the short amount of time that I've had to do so, but as for a course of action to take, I've still yet to decide.
Does anyone have any clear suggestions? Can I still file suit after I leave? Do I have a legal right to stay? Should I legally force them to evict? How can I get on top of this situation?
truth_N_justice

Return to NYC General Discussion