TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Giving Notice in Brooklyn

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Giving Notice in Brooklyn

Postby jeffkopay@earthlink.net » Mon May 27, 2002 11:35 am

Hi. I am a tentant in the borough of Brooklyn currently on a month to month lease.

We found a new apartment in the middle of the month of May and have decided to move out by June 1. My landlord claims I did not give her enough notice and is trying to make me pay for the entire month of June.

Can she do this? Do I need to give her 30 days notice before moving?

Thanks for any help.
jeffkopay@earthlink.net

Re: Giving Notice in Brooklyn

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Mon May 27, 2002 12:03 pm

If you did a forum archive search, you would have realized this type of question has been answered 2x this week.
http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/ubbgraphics/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000079

This board is an excellent source of self help info. Just take time to do a little searching :)
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Re: Giving Notice in Brooklyn

Postby consigliere » Mon May 27, 2002 12:15 pm

In New York City, only the landlord is required to give notice to terminate a month-to-month tenancy; the tenant doesn't have to give any notice.

§232-a. Notice to terminate monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month in the city of New York.

No monthly tenant, or tenant from month to month, shall hereafter be removed from any lands or buildings in the city of New York on the grounds of holding over his term unless at least thirty days before the expiration of the term the landlord or his agent serve upon the tenant, in the same manner in which a notice of petition in summary proceedings is now allowed to be served by law, a notice in writing to the effect that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that unless the tenant removes from such premises on the day on which his term expires the landlord will commence summary proceedings under the statute to remove such tenant therefrom.

Real Property Law - Article 7

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion