TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

something fishy is going on

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

something fishy is going on

Postby soni413 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:51 pm

My daughter moved to suffolk county from Florida about 3 months ago, and she rented a house, which she is not renting the whole house because some young girls are renting a small private portion of the house with its own entrance. My concern here is that she gave the owner 2 months security and not in a legal form, just a letter stating it. She has only been living there for two months and now the owner has the house up for sale. I feel something is fishy here, why rent to sale two months later. The owner is saying that he put the sign up just to see how much he can get for it, and that it was his wife's doing since they are having marital difficulties. He is says that he is not really selling it. I am afraid that he is up to something and my daughter will be out in the cold. I am also afraid that he might not give back her the security. She didnt not sign a lease. Can you advise. I know the other small portion of the house that he is renting is not legal here in Suffolk County. What do you think my daugher should do to secure her security of $3000.00.
soni413

Re: something fishy is going on

Postby kinetyk » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:05 am

tell her to start looking for a new place, and in the meanwhile, just don't pay the next two months, therefore using up the security.
kinetyk

Postby kinetyk » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:07 am

p.s. AND NEXT TIME, SIGN A LEASE!!!!!
kinetyk

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:27 pm

People buy and sell houses with tenants in them all the time. Doesn't affect your deposit. Just be sure you can prove you made it.
It does affect whether you can stay on or not, though. Depends on the attitude of the new buyer.
Also--the LL may be telling the truth. Sometimes people put their houses on the market to see what its market price is. So don't panic just yet.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC General Discussion