TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Neighbors leaving garbage in hall

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Neighbors leaving garbage in hall

Postby nyctenantbk1210 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Our neighbors across the hall from us in Brooklyn leave garbage outside their front door In the shared hallway on a regular basis. My partner and I are quiet people who have absolutely no interest in getting into any sort of squabble with our neighbors but we felt this was particularly disgusting and unacceptable, especially considering there is a garbage shoot directly down the hall. We complained first to the maintenence company and nothing was done, and then to the building on several different occasions when trash was left out, before receiving a note under our door from the neighbors themselves saying to address any issues with them directly— and they finally stopped leaving garbage outside for a few weeks. Fine. Now today on one of the hottest days of the year they have left a massive bag of garbage in our hot hallway again! I know it sounds childish but I truly don’t WANT to have to personally knock on their door and ask them to move their garbage. They honestly should know better and clearly aren’t concerned about what we or anyone else from the building thinks of this. Any tips on how to handle this or any laws/regulations that pertain to this would be helpful.
Last edited by nyctenantbk1210 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyctenantbk1210

Re: Neighbors leaving garbage in hall

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

You posted in General Discussion, so I'm assuming you are not rent stab (but should not matter in this case).

You say they leave garbage ... but how much at any given time? Is it properly wrapped? Do they take it downstairs and dispose of it at the next opportunity? It's quite common in NYC for tenants to place wrapped trash/refuse in the hallway by their doorway, often overnight, and take it downstairs the next morning.

If it attracts vermin, that's one thing, but in many cases I've seen, that doesn't always occur.

In your case you say there is a garbage chute nearby, so seems to me they are very lazy or maybe something else is going on.

Things like this often involve relationships between tenants and there is no right or wrong way to do that. You will need to figure out that on your own. But if they aren't threatening, why not leave them a note. If things get nasty, then go to the building. I would however, overlook anything that's really minor.

Of course this might be a condition that would result in a violation if you can get an inspector to show up. But I would do that only if you want to push it to the next step.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion