TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about apt door

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about apt door

Postby rahart » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:25 am

I recently signed a lease for an apartment that is not rent stabilized. I want to have a medeco lock installed on the front door of the apartment. I had a locksmith come to install the lock. The door has several old lock faces on it with no corresponding backings. The locksmith said that he will have to remove the false fronts in order to install my lock. He said that this will leave holes in the door (the door is wooden.) Obviously, the holes are unsafe, but I don't feel it is safe to have just a standard doorknob lock on the door. The management company agreed to install a new doorknob lock on the door because it is extremely difficult to open. I would like them to install a new metal door so that I can safely put on the medeco lock. The metal door will be much safer than a wooden door. (I lived in an apartment prior to this where a wooden door was broken down and the apartment was broken into.) Do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks.
rahart

Re: Question about apt door

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:46 pm

HPD would have to assess that the door is in violation of the code, which it is not.
If you want the door, then pay for it yourself. Make sure you get permission from LL in writing first.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion