TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

questions on APT hunting

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

questions on APT hunting

Postby da13ear » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:28 pm

I'd like to find some information on ways to find empty apts without going through brokers. I've know about those books / booklets/ pamphlets that one can buy to see a "new" list of fee-less apts in NYC. I've heard a bunch of them are scams, but i know that there MUST be some way for a kid to get a place in NYC without having to pay a broker fee. Any ideas?
da13ear

Re: questions on APT hunting

Postby mjr203 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:10 pm

villagevoice.com, nyc.craigslist.com for no fee places & shares

there are some legitimate list services, but it's tough to tell which are which...

some of the best places are found through friends, family, coworkers etc.

sometimes, as illogical as it seems, if you use a broker properly, it is "worth" the money -- they beat the street, take care of credit report one time only, find stuff you will not see in the listings, and can negociate on your behalf with LLs to lower rents. This certainly isn't the case, and in Brooklyn for example you'll have to see multiple brokers sometimes as there is no unified apartment listing distribution. But there are good brokers who will help you and bad brokers who will waste your time.

Good luck
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: questions on APT hunting

Postby too trusting » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:14 pm

I've also found apts in the Jersey City Journal and the Staten Island Advance. Both areas are close to the city but rents are much more affordable and most listed are no fees.

Edited to add you can access both on-line.

<small>[ December 03, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: too trusting ]</small>
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion