TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Work Done in apts without permits?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Work Done in apts without permits?

Postby TaylorBrown » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:21 pm

As old tenants leave or die, the landlord is renovating and turning one bedrooms into two bedroom apts. The apt above and below me are already finished but no permits were displayed during work. The landlord told me there were permits. If permits were not applied for, and posted when they should have been, what action can be taken after the fact? The work seems to have been poorly done, as I can hear music and appliances through the kitchen wall of next door apt now, as well as footsteps vibrating through the shared wall and floor and dropped shoes etc. It is now as if I have roommates.

Thanks,SHAREit Appvn
Last edited by TaylorBrown on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TaylorBrown

Re: Work Done in apts without permits?

Postby TenantNet » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:44 pm

The problem is the NYC Dept of Buildings should be enforcing that, but they rarely do.

You can look up the building and any DOB violation and permits, if any, by going through this:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bsqpm01.jsp

You should search the regular database and also the newer DOB NOW Portal.

Check the Certificate of Occupancy. If they have changed to 2 bedrooms, or moved any outer walls to any of the units, then they have to get, or update, the Cert. of Occupancy.

Some areas of town also require a Certificate of No Harassment. (that's with HPD).

The problem with doing something like this is that it changes (or in some cases removes) proper egress. People and firefighters have died when there are is proper egress.

I would make a complaint with DOB and get them to inspect. If need be, you can go to your elected officials for help.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion