TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can I take blinds and curtains with me?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can I take blinds and curtains with me?

Postby Tenant88 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:50 pm

When I moved in there were no blinds in my apartment. I purchased expensive blinds and curtains, and installed them myself.

When moving out, can I take the blinds and curtains with me?

If so, could I leave the brackets in and just slide the blinds and curtains off while leaving the hardware installed?
Tenant88

Re: Can I take blinds and curtains with me?

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:36 am

If you purchased them, in our opinion you should be able to take them with you. It would help if you have a record of the purchase, a receipt or a credit card statement. But even without that I don't think that would hurt your situation. Do you also have photos of the apartment when you moved in?

I wouldn't even bring it up with the LL so it's not even a situation. Just remove them. Make sure everything else is clean and orderly. Have a walk through after you removed them, take many photos (to get your deposit back).

I would take the brackets and fill any holes. You'll likely need the hardware in any new apartment.

Some leases make statements that if your install something, it becomes part of the apartment. Generally, that does not refer to things like curtains or blinds.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Can I take blinds and curtains with me?

Postby Tenant88 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:48 am

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have the receipt and credit card statement. Yes, I have pictures and videos from my move in inspection. You can clearly see there were no blinds and curtains.

The landlord drafted their own lease. I reviewed the lease and there is no mention of installations or fixtures.
Tenant88

Return to NYC General Discussion