TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security deposit for roommate question

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Security deposit for roommate question

Postby riotpoof » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:56 pm

I am a leaseholder. My roommate and I signed a roommate agreement. The agreement stated that they would compensate me financially if they broke anything of mine in the apartment.
-They have scratched a brand new kitchen table and stained the kitchen seat cushions from standing on them. They also burned and cracked the coffee maker and scraped the teflon cookware with steel forks. They also shredded a futon cover.
They leave garbage and food everywhere-thus a roach and mouse problem.

If they move out and leave garbage allover (forcing me to clean it up) and don't pay me for the damaged items, (even though they agreed in the agreement) can I keep a portion of their security deposit for cleaning and repairs?

they want the security deposit back now, and they haven't left yet. It says in the agreement that I have to inspect their room and the common areas for damage. I also asked that the room be broom clean. They seem to show no indication that they will comply with this. Should I just be happy that they are leaving? I know it sounds petty...but this person has trashed my home.
riotpoof

Re: Security deposit for roommate question

Postby Lilly » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:34 pm

take pictures of the damage.In the interim, tell them you'll give them the security deposit back upon their departure.....then simply don't. And have a friend (witness) present at their expected departure. A security deposit is after all to cover the cost of damage to the premises. Sounds like you're entitled to keep it, but you must be able to prove the damages and the cost of repair/replcement if and when they sue you.
Lilly

Re: Security deposit for roommate question

Postby riotpoof » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:10 pm

thanks
riotpoof

Return to NYC General Discussion