TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking a lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking a lease

Postby AMANDARL » Mon May 19, 2003 5:01 pm

I am living in an extremely noisy area of Tribeca and was unaware of the amount of construction going on in the neighborhodd when I signed my lease. It has gotten so bad that I cannot sleep past 5:30 AM when the noise begins. I would like to break my lease and move to a place where I can get some peace and quiet. The building was sold a few weeks after I moved in to another company because the original owners knew there would be a problem with the construction as they were unaware of the amount that needed to be done as well. Any help would be appreciated!
AMANDARL

Re: Breaking a lease

Postby jot0n0 » Tue May 20, 2003 12:51 pm

From your posting, it doesn't sound like there is a valid reason to break your lease without incurring penalties. Area constructions are not LL's responsibility and beyond his control to cure. The best you can do is sealing the gaps around doors and windows to minimize noise penetration and call the city complaint line, 311 to see if that can do anything to help.
jot0n0

Postby mjr203 » Tue May 20, 2003 2:44 pm

they sell very effective and comfortable ear plugs too

hopefully the construction will end soon.

can call 311 if you think it starts too early.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby too trusting » Tue May 20, 2003 3:31 pm

I don't think by law they can start construction before 8:30 am and on weekends not before 10 am. Unless its different by neighborhood. I had a friend living on the upper east side and there was a law/ordinance whatever stating this in her neighborhood. I'm not sure who you can call to report them, it might be just your local police station.
too trusting

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue May 20, 2003 4:02 pm

Agreed. We've also had ezcessive noise from building construction. Neighbors checked their work permit, which has to be posted in front, and discovered they were only allowed to do construction between certain hours. Neighbors complained and eventually the contractors began to abide by their permit.

Calling 311 might be a good place to start.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion