TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Asking A Lot

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Asking A Lot

Postby fiditen » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:30 pm

A few questions for the group, any insights appreciated!

I've been unemployed and on SNAP for most of the year now and it has taken me a long time to get through interviews and in a position to finally get an offer.

The timing however coincided with my lease expiring and I need a new apartment to stay in.

I met with my landlord and explained the circumstances and how the timing was very difficult for me. I will be able to pay my rent going forward but currently I am at the end of my financial limits, and without an apartment to move into, I would jeopardize my chances of securing employment, and getting back on my feet at this time. I need reliable internet, I have a documented disability, and registered emotional support animals.

I requested an in-building move because that is all I can manage right now due to my health.

The landlord agreed but needed me to pay the August back rent before they could do anything.

I did that with a lot of struggles, for a two-bedroom apartment (my roommate moved out 3 months ago, refused to pay her half of the rent last month - so I had to cover it with the last of my savings.) I am moving out of a two bedroom which would be impossible to afford on my own, into a studio.

Then my landlord asked me for an application fee and a $500 dollar hold deposit on the new unit. I borrowed some money and did that.

Then they said they only way they would sign the lease is if I get a Guarantor. I looked into it and the cost to get a bond is more than 1 months' rent in the new apartment. They are currently refusing to sign the new lease until the bond is set, and just told me yesterday, they will also require first month's rent within 7 days. All while charging me for the extra days in the unit I am in now where due to the delays, I am technically a holdover.

So, I'm trying to reduce my cost to make this happen.
I cannot afford to jeopardize my remaining interviews this upcoming week so I need to just get things taken care of and get myself moved out.

I want to know if:
- My landlord is required to accept W-147N-E instead of a security deposit? This is a market rate non-regulated apartment.
- Can my landlord ask me for 1 month's rent + a security deposit? Can the landlord require all this + 1st month of rent in advance as well?

It feels like at every point they are coming up with another gotcha and I don't have the savings to keep doing this. I just want to stay in my home, finish my interviews, and get back on my feet - and overall, they costs associated with this in-building move are amounting to almost 20K - which makes absolutely no sense.

Any help of advice appreciated.
fiditen

Re: Landlord Asking A Lot

Postby TenantNet » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:00 pm

In general, please try to keep things shorter. Now, you mean a job offer? Not a SNAP offer. SNAP (Food Stamps) has nothing to do with your rent.

Never give LLs details of your financial situation ... they could easily use it against you. However, did he say he was willing to help? Doesn't sound like it. I'd go back and negotiate some more.

Our opinion is that application fees and holds are unconscionable, but as far as we know, they aren't illegal. And yes, demanding Guarantor's are common (sleazy but legal).

We're not familiar with W-147N-E, but it appears to be a HRA program to cover security. As far as I can tell, this is not the same thing as a One-Shot Deal (also HRA). While it appears a LL is required to accept it, enforcement in NYC is a joke. Sure you could pursue it, but get your housing situation settled first.

A LL can ask for first month plus a deposit, but AFAIK, that's all. See the Lebovitz documents (Part 1) on the 1st page of the forum.

Yes, there are gotchas, which is why the elected officials - wherever you are in the city - need to be voted out. Seriously, Democrats paint themselves as tenant-lovers, but most are in bed with landlords.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion