TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Never Ending Buzzer

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Never Ending Buzzer

Postby edbohan » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:56 am

My friend has a problem that is driving him crazy. Every evening around six when the outside lights of his building (rent stablized in Manhattan) come on so does the front door buzzer and stays on until the lights go off in the morning.

This causes two problems:
1. Anyone can enter the building during the night -- just this morning as he left for work he had to step over a homeless person sleeping in his hallway; and
2. It is impossible to get and sleep because the loud buzzer echoes throughout the building (and he's on a low florr)

The landlord ignored the probelm for a month and then twice (supposedly) sent someone during the day when, as the landlord was told, there wasn't a problem. He has sent several certified letters complaining and still nothing has been done.

I suggested he with hold rent he says he'd rather take them to court. What do you think?
edbohan

Re: Never Ending Buzzer

Postby ellerge » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:43 am

You said 'I suggested he with hold rent he says he'd rather take them to court. What do you think?'. I think the quickest way to get into Court is to 'with hold' rent. Most Landlords are so greedy that they insist upon being paid rent! I do not think that the County will accept the taxes 'when the tenant pays me'. If a tenant can with hold rent because of a fault in the apartment then there would be a fault every time rent is due and there would be NO landlords and no rental properties. There are other ways to get the doorbell fixed without risking eviction, future rental possibilities, credit problems, attorney fees, etc. Not paying rent because of a doorbell opens a bag of worms that you do not want to open. Advising someone to risk his job because of a doorbell is one way to lose a friend!
ellerge

Postby edbohan » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:56 am

Well, George, the landlord has known about the problem for months and has not fixed it. The buidling has become on safe because the door is unlocked overnight and unlivable because of the loud buzzing. You said there are ways other than a rent strike to get the problem fixed yet you offered no suggestions. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, George, what, specifically do you suggest?
edbohan

Postby consigliere » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:42 am

You could also commence an HP proceeding in housing court.

In addition to the annoying sound, this a a genuine security issue.

To prove your case, you should make a video, preferably over the course of several nights. Have the date and time displayed on the tape.

Start taping in the street, showing that it's dark, and go to the lobby. Let the sound of the buzzer be heard, and push in the building door to enter.

You might also have a radio in the background, with WCBS, WINS, WBBR, or any other station that frequebtly gives the time. You could also go to your apartment and show the TV Guide channel or the Weather Channel, which display the date and the time -- to the second.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion