TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need help, it's way too hot

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Need help, it's way too hot

Postby aspadaro » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:29 pm

I have what's probably going to be laughed at seeing that I live in NY... But it's beginning to really bother me health-wise:

Basically, the heat is set too high. LL laughs at me and says that he never heard of anyone complaining of too much heat, but in my apartment (3 floor walkup, 6 units, I'm in top unit), if I keep my windows shut, the temps soar to 96+ degrees. I have to keep my window ac's on, a window fan in the living room and the temps only drop to the high 70s, closer to an average of 84. I can't tolerate it anymore, he won't do anything about it, and I can't turn off my radiators, because when you do, they leak, which he won't fix (blames it on the age).

Anyone have any suggestions at all? I'm getting to the point where I'm getting sick from being in almost 100 degree heat and then going outside, and also from having the windows open in the dead of winter. No one else in the building says anything, and the LL on most other things is very agreeable to fix (he re did my bathroom for signing a 2 year lease, fixed up the kitchen when I first moved in, etc.. I know, probably to get me in), but I just can't do this anymore. I'm tired of calling and having him tell me to open a window.
aspadaro

Re: Need help, it's way too hot

Postby mjr203 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:15 am

You'd better take your clothes off

/nelly
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby mjr203 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:17 am

if the valves on your radiators worked properly you could turn them off. if they leak when you shut them off they are broken and he should fix them.

New valves on a radiator are cheap and take a plumber not much time to install.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby joliett » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:38 pm

I lived on the top floor and also had problems with the heat set too high.

The valves on the radiators should first be checked as said previously.

If that doesn't cure the problem, you have a provision of state law called the "Warranty of Habitability," tenants are entitled to an apartment fit for human habitation without any conditions endangering or detrimental to their life, health, or safety.
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Return to NYC General Discussion