TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

harrassing neighbor

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

harrassing neighbor

Postby starfish » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:00 pm

I am a nyc resident. I have lived in my rent stab apt for 1 year of a 2 year lease. At the signing of my lease the mang agent warned my about the woman below me that she complains of noise often but that she was not that bad and that if I whether I wanted to put down rugs or not was my choice. Since the first day I moved in she has been on my back asking me to take my shoes of when I walk through the door and not to put them back on til I left again. Also not to stomp but to tred lightly on the floor. She then informed me of the laws of my lease, my floors must be 80% covered. I complied with everything she asked and still she complained. She involved the mangement agency and when I spoke with them to try to explain that I am doing everything possible it fell on deaf ears. The agency has threatend my with not renewing my lease. I have even written a letter pleading with both the tenant and agency to cut me some slack here. The woman below me has been here forever. I don't know what else to do I don't even have people over because I am worried they will walk to heavy I don't play music because I afraid it will make to much vibration. I love my apt and don't want to be forced out but I am going crazy. Help!!!
starfish

Re: harrassing neighbor

Postby mjr203 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:49 pm

if your apartment is rent stabilized then you do not have to worry about the management company evicting you because of the petty complaints of this downstairs neighbor.

Rent stabilization guarantees you certain rights. They must offer you a renewal lease, can only evict for certain reasons, must go to housing court to gain possession etc. etc.

It may also be possible to make a case for harassment for unreasonable complaints. You are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your apartment especially within certain hours and beyond that noise complaints can only have so much effect.

I suggest you further investigate your rights but I believe that if you are stabilized that she is up a creek. They cannot threaten to not give you a renewal lease. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU ONE IF YOU ARE STABILIZED.

Good luck, and don't let them getcha down.

-POINTER

<small>[ April 02, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Lilly » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:56 pm

I have the same problem; go get those thick rubber thong sandles. They cost about $3 - you wear them in the apartment and you'll make hardly any noise
Lilly

Postby starfish » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:49 pm

Thanks a million Pointerout you have given me a peace of mind. I am rent stabilized and I will further investigate my rights. Again Thanks
starfish

Postby starfish » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:51 pm

Me again and Lilly thanks for your help as well. I already have my floors covered with rugs and I only wear slippers in the apt. Again Thanks
starfish

Return to NYC General Discussion