TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Worried about security

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Worried about security

Postby dmeidenbauer » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:31 pm

Last month my one year lease was up in Astoria. My landlord asked me if I wished to renew and I said yes. They gave me a lease to sign that they would pick up on May 1. During that month I found an offer that I couldn't pass up. I told the landlord right away and gave them 30 days as was specified in the lease that was ending. I never signed the new lease they had given me. I moved out without incident. But I have the feeling that my landlord is going to try and stiff me on my security. I sent a letter with my forwarding address. I am planning on waiting the thirty days before I make it an issue. Does anyone have any advice in the meantime? Do they have a valid argument if they claim we had a 'verbal agreement' even when there is no signed lease and I still gave thirty days notice? Any advice would be appreciated. Also - just a side question - for the entire term of my lease they requested half of the rent in cash which was a huge pain. Is that allowed? Or does it sound shady? Just curious. Thanks!
dmeidenbauer

Re: Worried about security

Postby too trusting » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:25 am

Originally posted by downandoutinAstoria:
Last month my one year lease was up in Astoria. My landlord asked me if I wished to renew and I said yes. They gave me a lease to sign that they would pick up on May 1. During that month I found an offer that I couldn't pass up. I told the landlord right away and gave them 30 days as was specified in the lease that was ending. I never signed the new lease they had given me. I moved out without incident. But I have the feeling that my landlord is going to try and stiff me on my security. I sent a letter with my forwarding address. I am planning on waiting the thirty days before I make it an issue. Does anyone have any advice in the meantime? Do they have a valid argument if they claim we had a 'verbal agreement' even when there is no signed lease and I still gave thirty days notice? Any advice would be appreciated. Also - just a side question - for the entire term of my lease they requested half of the rent in cash which was a huge pain. Is that allowed? Or does it sound shady? Just curious. Thanks!
You gave them 30-days so there shouldn't be a problem. But then again LL's believe that deposit is a gift! Going to small claims court would be the only way to get your deposit back. As far as giving them cash...I've never experienced that before, don't know about this.
too trusting

Re: Worried about security

Postby queenswoman » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:56 pm

A lot of these smaller landlords ask for the rent in cash so they don't have to report it as income.
It helps if you've documented that you left the apartment in good condition (i.e. - you took photos of the apartment the day that you left with that days newspaper in the background) so they can't make fraudulent claims that you wrecked the apartment.
Also send a certified letter with return receipt with a request for your security deposit back. If that doesn't work don't hesitate to take them to small claims court.
queenswoman

Return to NYC General Discussion