TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Acknowledgement of Abandonment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Acknowledgement of Abandonment

Postby Muse » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:08 pm

Our landlord wants to take out 54 hours of labor from our deposit for painting of walls back to white when they weren't white to begin with, for removing walls that we built when they had the new tenants write into their lease (or so we were told) that they wantedt to keep the walls, so we didn't remove them. Painting the floor when the floor wasn't painted when we moved in and other issues.
What are our methods of recourse? Only housing court? He asked us to submit a notarized 'Acknowledgement of Abandonment' letter that I believe waives our rights from having any recourse with respect to the deposit.
Does anyone have any experience with these. I have never had to submit one before. Should I wait to submit this or go ahead and submit it and then try to take action with respect to the deposit money.
Muse

Re: Acknowledgement of Abandonment

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:40 am

"Acknowledgement of Abondonment"?? Never heard of it, sounds shady. Wouldn't dare sign it!!
You do not mention if your lease expired or if you are breaking your lease.
In order to get your security deposit back, you must sue your LL in Small Claims Crt. To win, you are going to have to prove that the walls are still up and functioning or you had LL's permission to construct it. What does your lease say about painting? Technically speaking, you are supposed to leave the apt. minus wear and tear, in the condition it was rented.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to NYC General Discussion