TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Pls help - tenant won't give me the extension term I wa

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Pls help - tenant won't give me the extension term I wa

Postby summerishere » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:13 am

Thanks a lot to all the help in advance.

- My lease expired on May 31st.
- I will need to relocate before the end of July because 1. my father's sick, (he lives abroad) and I'll have to move and help him 2. parent company's shutting down my company, so I will have no job at the end of July.
- However, before the end of my term, I requested a two month extension saying I will have to move out before the end of July, and that I'm ready to let them show the apartment to potential tenants throughout the extension period.
- I documented my father's health conditon to them too.
- I have two months' security deposit with them.
- The greedy landlord only wants to get richer by withholding my security, So he doesn't give me the 2 month extension I want, but offers a 4 month extension.
- I had also sent in my june rental check last week. they didn't cash it yet. If they cash it, that means I'm going on a month to month lease, but I'm sure they'll tell me to go out by the end of June. However, I need to hang in there until the end of july.
- after all the bitter discussions we had, I know that these Godless, greedy creatures will do all in their power not to give my security back to me.
- hence I think I have twom options:
1. Put a stop payment on the check and live out my two months' security
2. let that check go through, and tell them to take july rent from my security and tell them to pay back the remainder to me. (close to 0% that I'll get anything back.)

Since I'll move abroad I don't want to mess with legal proceedings, I don't know what to do. I tried to be nice and do the right thing, but their disgusting behavior also tells me "don't let them get away with your hard earned money". By the way, I am living here with no lease as of today.

I would dearly appreciate it if you could advise the best course of action; and what the consequences could be.

Regards,

summerishere
summerishere

Re: Pls help - tenant won't give me the extension term I wa

Postby too trusting » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:41 am

I would cancel the check and live on your security deposit. IMHO. If they try to take you to court it'll take longer than the time you have left for them to do anything.
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion