TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Pet question (yes another one!)

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Pet question (yes another one!)

Postby Bronwyn » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:22 pm

Hello

I live in an SRO/Hotel/Whatever in NYC. Been here 20 years. Within the last ten years our building after being an SRO fer many decades has become a plain hotel again and no more apts are being rented out. I have been thinking of adopting a dog as a pet. Here's the rub. I have been told 'unofficially' by a bud on the staff of my building that they are not allowed by the management. Which BTW is not the same crew that ran the building when I moved in. When I moved in (oh so long ago :) ) my roomate and I filled out our application and there was nothing about it noted there. Also many other longterm tenants have pets. I understand that they may be 'grandfathered' but I still have never seen anything in print that specifically forbade having a dog. What are my rights? BTW relations with building/hotel management while always fraught with the typical tenant-landlord strains are generally ok. They're just waiting fer us to move or die out (in the case of the older tenants)

Thanks very much
Bronwyn

Re: Pet question (yes another one!)

Postby Bronwyn » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:53 am

Bump! Don't everyone answer at once now! :)
Bronwyn

Re: Pet question (yes another one!)

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:14 pm

Part of the problem is you need someone who is familiar with SROs to answer this kind of question. If you were in a stabilized apartment, and if your lease didn't mention dogs, there'd be nothing to stop you from getting one - especially if there are dogs in the building.

On the other hand, things may be different in SROs.

Never mind what your buddy says about what management says, unoffically, but if you do decide to get a dog, you may be in for another battle.

<small>[ September 12, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion