TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

breaking a lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

breaking a lease

Postby <Megmm> » Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:01 pm

Hi, I don't know if anyone can give me advice on this or not but i just resigned a lease with my landlord. I live in midtown manhattan in a coop building. I have lived in my studio apt for 2 years and four months and i am in my fifth month. i spoke with my landlord who has been great up until this year about signing a six month lease and he said that the co-op board would not allow that. I have since found out that this may not be true. We also discussed putting in a dishwasher and replacing my fridge in the apt. He wants to do both at the same time and asked me to find out how much it would cost to put in a dishwasher. I have gotten the run around about getting an estimate and getting a plumber into my apartment about this and now i am in my fifth month and do not have the dishwasher or new fridge. i signed my new lease thinking that these would be taken care of this year. However, we did not state this in the lease. I am now paying way above market value and price for my apartment--i have seen several apartments in my building of the same size renting for at least $400 less. There is now a one bedroom available in my building that is roughly the same price as what i am paying now. i want to break my lease and move into the new apartment. i am not someone who would normally do this but i feel that i am overpaying by so much and am not getting what was promised to me. i don't mind losing my security deposit but i cannot afford to pay two sets of rent. Can anyone suggest anything? Is there anything I can do?
thanks.
<Megmm>

Return to NYC General Discussion