TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What to do?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

What to do?

Postby ms.walls » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:41 pm

my family and i have been renting the 1st floor of a 2 family home for almost 20 years. our landlord told us a few weeks ago that she wants us to move and has given us 6 months (sept). we do not have a lease. is this legal? is there any way that we can continue residing here w/out paying rent while we look for a new home? i'm sure that in all our years living here we've paid off her mortgage and then some. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks :)
ms.walls

Re: What to do?

Postby Chimera » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:22 am

Your apartment is not regulated, and you have no lease -- this means that your landlord can ask you to leave with as little as 30 days notice, provided it is a written notice of termination properly served no less than 30 days before the end of your rental term (which is probably the last day of the month.) Six months notice is way more than most tenants get, you are fortunate to have been given such a generous amount of time in order to find a new apartment.

As far as living there for free while you look for a new place -- is that a joke?
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion