TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New Jersey Issues - Wanting CASH on the 1st and going th

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

New Jersey Issues - Wanting CASH on the 1st and going th

Postby bubblegirl » Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:30 pm

ok. here is my problem. my landlord has become increasingly difficult and i intend to move but not until next year. She has bee doing things like surveying my trash and rining my bell asking me if i use certain products she found in the trash! If this isnt enough, she gets upset when i give her a check on the first of the month. Stating that it takes 5 days to clear and saying that i am then paying the rent late and asking for a late payment fee! I dont see how she can do this. She shouldnt be entitled to cash on the first of the month. A check is considered a rent payment. I have had to put security measures on my bank accounts because she has gone to friends who worked at banks and had them call into my bank asking about the balance in the account, etc. I contacted my bank adn they will not allow her to cash the rent check at a counter on the first of the month, they want her to deposit it for cashing in order to secure my privacy. Can you offer any assistance in this matter?

One more thing. She told me i could put in a washer/dryer which i have only put in a washer thus far. She also demands an additional 50.00 a month to cover the water bills (i am a single female living in my apartment alone). This seems a bit extreme.

Oh.. sorry.. forgot the last thing. She came to me the other day stating that my washing machine is causing issues in her sisters apartment in the basement. I hook my washer up to the kitchen sink and she is telling me that when i do wash, bubbles come up through the toilet in the basement apartment. This was a staggering and frightening discovery if true, it would mean my drinking water comes from the same pipe as her sisters toilet! WHAT CAN I DO! HELP ME!! :mad:
bubblegirl

Re: New Jersey Issues - Wanting CASH on the 1st and going th

Postby consigliere » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:33 pm

Your message belongs in Other States/Areas -- not in New York City.

As far as the rent is concerned, your landlady sounds like a real screwball. Unless your lease requires payment by cash, I would continue paying by check.

As to your washing machine, does your lease forbid a washer and/or a dryer? If it doesn't, I see no basis for an additional charge.

In any event, $50 a month seems excessive for the washer, although a washer uses both hot and cold water, and can cause plumbing problems.

And there is a common drainage system for all the apartments in a house or apartment building, as well as a common water supply for all the kitchen sinks, bathroom sinks, bathtubs, showers, and toilets.

consigliere

Postby bubblegirl » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:20 pm

didnt see the other states area until this was posted. there is nothing in my lease prohibiting a washer dryer and she agreed to let me put it in which is why this is a little silly to me.

can someone tell me if anywhere in the new jersey tenant laws there is somethng saying about the rent payments etc?
bubblegirl

Postby bubblegirl » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:37 pm

worth mentioning is that i pay my own utilities, except water. i pay the gas and electric, they arent included in the rent. she is a real pill. she neglected to tell me the apartment didnt have a fridge until after i moved in. i had to find one at the last minute.
bubblegirl

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:43 pm

Originally posted by me again:
i don't think YOUR bank has any right to say that she 'must' deposit it instead of cashing it at your branch..
I don't know if this is legal but Chase has a new policy where they will no longer treat their own checks as cash. Chase is holding checks drawn on Chase accounts a day before making funds available. Needless to say I'm looking around for another bank.

Years ago when I first moved into my rent stabilized apartment the LL insisted that we have "check valves" installed to prevent some kind of back-up from our washing machine. I don't know if this is the solution to the bubbles in the toilet, but maybe your LL should check with a plumber if there are problems in the building.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby bubblegirl » Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:24 am

i appreciate the responses, all valid and well thought out answers.

I guess for me, and the check issue, i have always paid from the same account. I am with a credit union which has daily check limits, etc. My bank is also out of state. The state of new jersey, if i open an account here, will hold my check for 10 days because it comes from New york rather than new jersey (this, right now, is an unemployment check). So new jersey banks will hold it for 10 business days making it impossible to get the rent paid on time. I kept my california bank i have had for years (which i have paid the rent here since i have lived here with) because they give me same day credit of funds when the check is received, making ti easier for her to get the rent on time. Why she is making these demands on me now is yet to be seen. Just today i got accused of stuffing a half dead mouse in a raisin bran box and stuffing it in the recycle bin. She really is crazy adn i know the only solution is to move.

:(
bubblegirl

Return to NYC General Discussion