TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

splinter from the floor

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

splinter from the floor

Postby knen » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:07 am

Last weekend a guest in my apartment was walking barefoot and got the world's largest splinter in her foot. We had to go to the emergency room to have it surgically removed. The floors are crap in this apartment and always have been. The landlord calls them "beautiful hardwood floors" because they put a very dark stain on them so you can't see the detail from far away. We covered up most of the hallways after we started getting splinters or close calls when we first moved in. There are huge gauges in the boards that have not even been sanded smooth.

Also when we first moved in I called the landlord to inquire about water damage that appeared to have rotted the floors near the bathroom. She said curtly "you're not getting a new floor-maybe we'll do something in the summer" (the bldg i extra broke in the winter from heating oil) The floors also slant big time , i.e. in my bedroom it slopes two inches across the 112 inch (9ft 4in) width.

Do I have a case against the landlord for negligence regarding the splinter? Obviously we need to cover them up but that should not be the expectation when you move int an apartment that appears to have decent floors. After all we only saw it for ten minutes tops before we moved in and the landlord flatly refused to rectify a much more obvious problem.
knen

Re: splinter from the floor

Postby newtonyc » Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:03 pm

Be careful here, as you may be liable for you guest's injury as well.
newtonyc

Return to NYC General Discussion