TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

renters' Application info gathered

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

renters' Application info gathered

Postby Mina » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:58 pm

I've noticed in rental application that they ask for more personal information. i wanted to know if it is necessary for the landlord to ask for your bank name & bank account number. you hear all the time about fraud and not giving out account numbers or social security numbers.
Mina Beans
Mina

Re: renters' Application info gathered

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:26 am

The name of your bank and account number isn't particularly personal since it's printed on your checks. Social Secutity numbers are another issue entirely and I would avoid giving this kind of information as much as possible.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby jot0n0 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:20 am

Most often LLs will order a credit report on prospective applicants and social security number is a unavoidable necessary piece of information required to process the credit report request.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: John ]</small>
jot0n0

Postby Zamindar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:12 am

You are not required to provide any information on an application that you do not want the landlord to know, all the terms on the application are negotiable, however the landlord can use your refusal to provide information as an automatic disqualifier, so if you want the apartment you will probably have to provide all the information that the landlord is asking for, or at least legally able to ask for, e.g., they cannot ask for marital status, religion, national origin, sexual orientation…
Zamindar

Return to NYC General Discussion