TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

sublet

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

sublet

Postby oldladydriver » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:25 pm

The person subletting my place will not let me in to my apartment so i can grab some stuff, and he also changed the locks. Our agreement ends on Dec 31, and im assuming hes not going to leave , therefore forcing me, to evict him. What can I do about getting my stuff..? Please someone help me. this guy has taken over my life, Ive never hated anything so much. this is so frustrating, why do these people get away with this.. Thanks again folks.
oldladydriver

Re: sublet

Postby ari617 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:00 pm

Have you given him an eviction notice yet? If your agreement ends on Dec. 31st, (I am assuming you take the rent on the first of the month) you MUST serve him an eviction notice on Dec. 31st(last day of rent cycle). Go get a Blumberg eviction notice (@ Airline Stationary) fill it out, take it to your borough's court house (housing court) & have them stamp it. Then you MUST either have it served by a process server or a third party who can sign in front of a notary that they served him the notice. If I were you, I would have it served to him @ work...you know he will be there & won't have to spend the day tracking him down. He probably won't even see it coming. The above steps MUST BE TAKEN before you can do anything else. If you wait until the beginnin gof January, he has just bought himself another month. You also need to begin speaking to an attorney about this matter, & not the same one who gave you that horrible advice before.

As for retreiving your belongings, I am not sure about that, but I'm sure someone who reads your post will. Maybe take the police with you to retrieve it? I have no idea......

<small>[ December 14, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: ari617 ]</small>
ari617

Re: sublet

Postby oldladydriver » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:53 pm

I've spoken to several pro-se attorneys, they advised me to start the eviction proceedings on Jan 2. But i'm concerned about my stuff. I dont want to grab everything, just some stuff. This really sucks. Im never doing this again. you just never know. I can see why landlords are such jerks, its people like the ones in my apt, that kill it for the rest of us.
oldladydriver

Return to NYC General Discussion