TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Small claims ct. problem!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Small claims ct. problem!

Postby rentguy » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:15 am

I need to file a claim against my former landlord for failure to return my security deposit. My landlord lives in Long Island and has a business out there. My apartment (in a co-op building) is in Manhattan.

At the court office, I was told I would need to file my claim out on Long Island since my landlord lives out there. As a car-free Manhattanite, this is incredibly inconvenient.

Question: Does the fact that he owns my aparment and rents it out qualify as a "place of business" enough for me to still file the claim in Manhattan? He doesn't have a legal address here but there is a real estate agent/building manager in the building through whom my landlord does business. Can I file the claim against my landlord and have it sent to him care of the agent/bldg manager?

I'd rather not have to miss a day of work and go out to Long Island to file my claim so any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Manhattan

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 16 guests