TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can they keep my deposit?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can they keep my deposit?

Postby EmpathyKills » Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:56 am

I had a terrible apartment, and the rental company knows it. I was in tears most of the time I was there because of fleas and roaches, and in the last month I was bitten by a mouse. Anyway, they discounted my rent by 750 dollars, and I owed them 675. I never paid them because I just refused to give them any more money after the biting incident, and I figured that they'd take it from my 1425 security deposit. When i moved out, the apartment was spotless though.

well, it's been almost 2 months and they haven't returned my security, but my friends who moved out of nearby apartments have received their deposits (of course they also filled out some paperwork that I was never asked to sign). Is the company supposed return the deposit? Or did I forfeit all of it by not paying? Can I send them the 675 that i owe them to get the full 1425, or is this standard practice to keep everything when a tenant owes you money?

please advise.
"And if I'm wasting all your time, I guess you never learned to take...
And if I'm hanging on to your shade, I guess I'm way beyond the pale" - Tori Amos
EmpathyKills

Re: Can they keep my deposit?

Postby mjr203 » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:53 pm

it's standard practice and they owe you the rest

have they responded in any way?

if negatively, small claims court may be the answer
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC General Discussion