TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Payment Date

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Payment Date

Postby KY_Hall » Fri May 30, 2003 12:03 pm

Can someone tell me if payment is considered on time if it is mailed on the due date or does it have to be received on the due date.
KY_Hall

Re: Payment Date

Postby mbgolds » Fri May 30, 2003 5:42 pm

It should be considered what a late payment is in your lease agreement. Personally, I receive my rent bill the day before it is "due". I am given either 10 or 15 days till it's considered late. :roll:
mbgolds

Postby Chimera » Fri May 30, 2003 6:49 pm

Does your credit card company consider your payment on time if you mailed it the day it was due? Probably not! Like all of your bills, the money is due on it's . . . well, DUE date. This means that the landlord may charge you a late fee, and then serve you with a rent demand when the rent is three days late. Many landlords will give you a 'grace period' of a few days or a few weeks before taking any action or charging any late fees. If you've mailed your rent a few days late this month and are worried about repurcussions, my advice is to give a quick call to your landlord and explain that you sent your check and it will be there shortly.
Chimera

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri May 30, 2003 7:50 pm

Technically, I believe the LL is required to give tenants a rent bill, and tenants have three days to pay it.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Sat May 31, 2003 10:09 am

Chimera: My credit card companies don't send me my statement the day before it's due. And if I see the bill is postmarked a day or two before it's due (the equivalent of sticking my rent bill under my door on the 31st), you bet I'm going to call them up and let them know that they're in the wrong.

Personally, I set up an automatic bill payment, wherein my bank automatically sends a check to my landlord on the 1st. I've never had a complaint in the 5 years I've been doing that.

I think landlords know that most of us get paid on the last day of the month and are probably willing to wait a few days past that. From my experience, they don't even cash the check for at least two weeks anyway.
HardKnocks

Postby Chimera » Sat May 31, 2003 12:59 pm

The issue isn't when the statement is sent, it's when the rent is due. And legally a due date is a due date, and that will certainly hold up in court should the OP pay his rent late and incur a late fee.
Chimera

Postby nycat » Sat May 31, 2003 2:03 pm

Are LL's allowed to collect late fees on stabilized apts?
nycat

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat May 31, 2003 7:47 pm

Like Bleary-eyed tenant . the super just slipped my rent bill under the door yesterday, along with the self addressed envelope they expect me to use to pay the rent. Obviously if the envelope is supplied late Friday afternoon there's no way the Postal Service could deliver it by Sunday. Also,I don't believe a LL can knock on your door and demand payment on the spot, though I couldn't find anything about this when I did a search.

nycat - Whether or not the LLs of RS apartments can charge a late fee depends on what it says in your original lease. And even if your lease allows for a late fee, others on this forum have indicated that LLs generally can't charge RS tenants more than 5 percent.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:29 am

Just as an aside, my super slipped my rent bill under my door this morning. June 3rd.
HardKnocks

Return to NYC General Discussion