TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord threatens judgement with no lease

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord threatens judgement with no lease

Postby agtspenderf » Thu May 08, 2003 2:35 pm

My lease is out and I am carrying a small balance with my landlord that I intend to pay. I want to move out my landlord has told me that if I sign a new 1 year lease I can pay off the debt on a payment plan, but if I move out then he will seek a judgement against me and says that if that happens then the court will grant him and his company the rights to garnish my wages. My Ideal solution is to move out and pay off the debt in installments. My landlord say that "the company" will only accept payment in full. So it seem, by his rules, that Im trapped in this apartment. Is this the truth ...why cant i set up a payment plan and pay off the debt in increments. It doesnt seem fair.
agtspenderf

Re: Landlord threatens judgement with no lease

Postby eastsidah » Thu May 08, 2003 3:28 pm

To get a judgement and garnish your wages your landlord will have to implement procedings against you, and come out the winner.
eastsidah

Re: Landlord threatens judgement with no lease

Postby agtspenderf » Thu May 08, 2003 4:17 pm

If i agree to pay it (by way of payment plan and not all at once) and actually aggree with him and make payments to him wouldnt him taking me to court be redundant? Can the court place a judgement against me to pay in full even if im making payments regularly?
agtspenderf

Return to NYC General Discussion