TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

listing services (rent-direct, etc.)

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

listing services (rent-direct, etc.)

Postby dcronin » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:05 pm

Hi all - looking to rent an apt. in astoria. wondering if anyone has anything to share about listing services. (rent-direct, easy-rent,IAS etc.). The sites look promising - but that's never a guarantee!

Thanks
Deirdre
dcronin

Re: listing services (rent-direct, etc.)

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:15 pm

I used Rent Direct twice. Problems:half the time when I called the person in the listing, they either weren't the right person or didn't know what I was talking about. Or, the apt. would be long gone even though the listings were supposedly updated that day and the place was supposedly still available. Or I'd show up at an apt. and the person I was supposed to see wasn't there, didn't exist or I'd end up seeing a totally different apt. in a different building a few blocks away. Yikes!

Also, I ended up renting through a broker anyway the second time around (within a few days of signing up) and they finally agreed to give me a refund--half of what I paid. So they got well over a hundred dollars for 5 days. Later I found out that by law, these listings firms have to give you back all of it minus something like $15. Half a refund is illegal.

Another drawback: the customer service people are very rude and uppity if you request a refund. When I told them I'd ended up going through a broker, I got a nasty email saying "Well, suit yourself. It's your money."
HardKnocks

Postby Lilly » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:51 pm

Very unsatisfactory - you should not use them:
From the Better Business Bureau: Rent Direct is also know as:

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&strBCode=01210000&ComID=0121000000055082
Lilly

Postby dcronin » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:22 pm

Thanks - I really appreciate theh warnings!
dcronin

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:23 pm

Rent Direct (Apts. Illustrated) is one of our advertisers -- which we need to keep TenantNet running (we don't get governmental funds). Other similar companies have inquired about advertising on TenantNet. We wanted to be reasonably assured that any such company is legitimate and reputable, so our general policy is that (at a minimum) any such company that we accept for advertising must be licensed by NY State as a "Apartment Information Vendor." Rent Direct is licensed. There are always going to be some complaints about this kind of service, but our inquiry (we were unable to access the BBB at the time of our research) didn't reveal a torrent of complaints. According to the BBB page, there have been 15 complaints in 3 years (that doesn't seem like a lot), and 7 were resolved somewhat satisfactorily. On the other hand, that means 8 went unresolved and probably that also means there were problems that were not reported to the BBB. To Bleary-Eyed, did your problems seem to come from just inexperienced or uncaring workers, or listing that weren't completely up-to-date, or did you get a sense there was an effort to screw those who had purchased the service? Did you try to get back the total amount of a refund that you had a right to get? Did you approach higher management and get any better response?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:39 pm

TenantNet:

No, I didn't get the feeling they were dishonest. Just unorganized, which made me go to a lot of effort for nothing. Many unnecessary phone calls for apts. that were not really available. I got the sense that some of the people listing apts were not being totally honest. And many were just trying to get you in there (bait and switch) by listing apts they didn't really have.

I ended up chasing dead-ends the majority of the time, and although the listings would say they were updated that very day, when I called, the people would insist that the apt. was long gone. It was very frustrating.

The second time around, I got the 50% refund Rent Direct said I was entitled to. But the Attorney General's office tells a different story:

<<Businesses that charge a fee for providing information about the location and availability of rental housing must be licensed by the State. The fees charged by these firms may not exceed one month's rent. When the information provided by the firms does not result in a rental, the entire amount of any pre-paid fee, less $15.00, must be returned to the tenant.>>

So no, I didn't get what I later found I was LEGALLY entitled to. That part of their terms/conditions is dishonest and illegal.
HardKnocks

Postby Chimera » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:00 pm

50% refund aside, the problems that Bleary is describing originate in the brokers/landlords that use the service, not in the service being provided by Rent Direct. These "bait and switch" tactics are going to be present in any apartment information service.

I'm a little bit confused about how an apartment information vendor would be required to give an almost full refund for a customer who found an apartment through another venue. Couldn't anyone find an apartment through the service, and then claim they didn't, and request a refund?
Chimera

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:01 pm

Go to the BBB page and call the person listed. He basically runs the place.

TenantNet

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:33 pm

The first time I used Rent Direct, I dealt directly with Larry (the guy who runs the place). He was a doll. Very helpful, answered phone calls and emails immediately and in a friendly manner. Cool guy.

Like I said, I don't think they're out to screw anyone. They seem like an honest outfit. But I do think you have to be prepared for a lot of frustration and wasted effort. I was just trying to let the OP know that it's not as easy as it sounds. And yes, probably most of that is to do with the people listing the properties, although I was getting sent unsuitable listings a lot (hundreds out of my requested price range, wrong number of bedrooms, walk-ups when I asked for elevators...) Like I said before, they just need to be better organized or fine-tune their automated systems.

But the guy I dealt with the second time was unbearably rude. And at over $200, there is no excuse for that. You treat someone like that, next time they'll go elsewhere. And I will.

One other thing: All the fancy features you pay for, you only get if you're looking in Manhattan. Photos/floorplans are rare with Queens listings.

Chimera: To get a refund, you need to send copies of leases, etc. to prove that yes, you moved, and no, you didn't move to a place in their inventory. Fair enough.
HardKnocks

Postby Lilly » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:10 pm

Craigslist housing forum for New York has had a lot of postings, all negative on Rent Direct.
Lilly

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:15 pm

Yeah, but Craig's list seems home to many spoiled yuppies that expect suburban-type accommodations.

TenantNet

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:03 pm

I saw one person on there who wanted to share an apt. w/someone, but expected to be able to install a second refrigerator since she lived entirely on fresh and organic food and needed a full-size fridge to herself. LOL
HardKnocks

Postby Chimera » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:49 pm

dcronin -- I would personally recommend Rent Direct. A lot can be found on free sites such as Craigs List, but scams have a tendency to run rampant on any site that is free and anonymous, so be very careful about whom you deal with.
Chimera

Postby dcronin » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:21 am

OK thanks for info from all of you! I'll probably try other avenues and do that as a last resort then.

Thanks again.
Deirdre
dcronin

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:33 am

Well, you can dop what a lot of real NYers do, burn shoe leather and bribe supers. Talk to people sitting on stoops. Go to union halls (if you're a member). Some sublets can turn into leases. Avoid Starbucks at all costs (just on principle). SOme people scan the obits althjough that's pretty sleazy and it takes more time for estates to be settled. Get adopted by a 86-year old rent controlled tenant. There are always vacancies.

TenantNet

Next

Return to NYC General Discussion