TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

oil heater fumes

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

oil heater fumes

Postby alice » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:49 pm

I have just moved to a 1 bedroom apt on the ground floor. Unbeknownst to me, I had moved to an apt on top of the oil heater causing noxious oil fumes to seep through to my living room. I complained several times to the management company and the problem got slightly better however I am still smelling the fumes several times a week. Can this problem be remedied or am I stuck? What are my next actions to get more help from the management company or landlord
alice

Re: oil heater fumes

Postby Lilly » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:52 pm

Forget the management company-you deal directly with the LL. I don't want to appear rude, but tell your moron of a super to put an exhaust fan in the boiler room-there should be one specifically for the reason you are writing about. Your living situation is potentially hazardous- a build up of fumes from the boiler can be extremely dangerous. Fortunately it's spring and most of the fumes will subside, until next fall when they start the heat again. Don't wait-
Call your LL immediately, then send the LL a certified letter, return receipt right away-advise him of the situation-and call HPD 212-824-4328.
Lilly

Re: oil heater fumes

Postby TenantNet » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:16 am

And do some additional research. Unless it's changed, HPD handles boiler inspections, not DOB. But boilers are required to have specific insurance (low rates as they rarely explode). But because of this requirement, there might be some bureaucrat willing to listen if they are not venting the boiler room fumes.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion