TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can I not pay last months rent??

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can I not pay last months rent??

Postby jlbussman » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:14 am

This has been my first apartment in NYC and I'm not sure of the process for moving out. We have not received any notices from the LL and we don't want to renew our lease.

My lease is up July 31. My roomate does not want to pay July's rent and have the Management Company just keep the security deposit. My roomate is afraid that we won't get out sec dep back and the management company will make up a reason to keep it (I have pics of the apt prior to us moving in).

My roomate'sjustification for not paying the last months rent is that we have gone for stretches of 10 days w/out hot water and the hot water goes out every now and then, the Super hasn't fixed a couple of things that we had continuously asked for etc.

1) Should we do this? If we do will it hurt my credit, what will happen?
2) Do I notify my LL that we're not renewing the lease or will they send me something (we only just started getting bills last month, 10 months of the lease without bills)
3) There is a third person on our lease (guarantee), if we do this will they be affected??
jlbussman

Re: Can I not pay last months rent??

Postby too trusting » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:28 am

Look at your lease about giving notice, sometimes they require more than thirty days notice. And yes give them written notice that you will be moving.
too trusting

Return to NYC General Discussion